Where to Start with Custom Websites
click to download PDF version
Have you ever bought a car? You probably have. And you probably know that not all cars are the same. You can't just go to a dealer and ask, "So, what does a car cost?" There are many, many variables and lots of preparation that is needed before you find the right car and then purchase it.
Same with websites.
At CT Graphics, here's how we handle all the variables and preparations that are needed before buying a website:
- Contact us at 860.800.9966 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to schedule a free website consultation.
- We will meet with you at either your place of residence, your business, a neutral site, or simply over the phone. Whatever is reasonable.
- The meeting will last about an hour so we can ask the right questions to know what kind of website would be best for you.
- We will draw up a proposal based on information gathered at the meeting and send a copy of it to you by email within a week.
- Along with the proposal, a contract will be sent including details of the proposal.
- You will have one week to look over the proposal and contract and let us know if anything needs to be changed. At the end of the week, if you are satisfied with everything, the contract should be signed and returned to CT Graphics, along with a 50% deposit on the proposed final cost of the website, as according to the contract. We will also sign our part of the contract and a copy will be sent to you for your records.
- We will create a "mockup" (essentially a large graphic, not an actual website) of the home page of your website based on what was described in the proposal. This mockup will be delivered to you by email within 10 days.
- While reviewing the mockup, you are allowed up to five minor changes. Complete re-designs should not happen, since the overall design has already been agreed upon in the proposal and contract.
- Once you have approved the mockup, we will ask you to sign our Design Approval Form.
- If you currently have a domain(s) for an existing site, we will need you to transfer the domain(s) to the CT Graphics GoDaddy account as soon as possible. Our policy is that we are the keeper of all domains we work with. The CT Graphics GoDaddy account number will be provided to you. You will need to "initiate a transfer" from your current account to ours. (Be mindful that this can take up to two weeks and we are not responsible for any issues with your previous hosting company or account plan.) We do this in order to keep all websites we work with "under one roof." Your domain(s) still belongs to you, we are just holding them for you.
- If you absolutely must keep your domain(s) and hosting where they are currently, we will need to charge an additional $50 per hour for any work that has to be put into working with other companies or accounts. You will be solely responsible for arranging any email accounts that may or may not be connected to those domain(s).
- If you have no domain or hosting account, we will gladly purchase a domain and set up the hosting through our GoDaddy account.
- You will now need to send CT Graphics all the text, photos and other content that you want to include on your website. We are not responsible for obtaining any content for your site, unless you may need help with logo design, photography, copy writing, etc. These extra services will be performed by CT Graphics at the rate of $50 per hour.
- At this point, we will begin coding the website. No further style, layout, or design changes may be made.
- As you deliver us content, your site will begin to progress towards being finished. You will be able to track the progress online with a special link we will provide to you. The finish date will be in accordance with the date noted on the contract. If, however, you are unable to deliver content on time, keep in mind that will delay the ultimate launching of your site.
- Once we feel that your website is complete, you will officially be contacted. At this time, you may make minor changes, in content only, to the site.
- Upon your approval, we will ask you to sign a Website Approval Form.
- At this point, the remaining 50% (or other remaining) balance for the website needs to be paid in full.
- Upon payment, your new website will go "live" using your proper domain for the URL.
- Your site is now launched, and there will be great rejoicing! Yea!